From Psalm 27

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear...One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek; That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD...I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart; wait , I say, on the LORD!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

ShiHeZi Visit - Update and Social Studies Lesson

We were disappointed to learn that the team that visited Xinjiang was diverted and unable to visit ShiHeZi or another orphanage. We aren't entirely certain why. However, there was terrorist activity reported in that province the following week, so it may have been due to security concerns. It is hard to say. We are praying for safety and security in this province and other parts of China during the Olympics and beyond. Many people are not aware that China has many, many minority groups. The full name of the Xinjiang province is The Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region. We were told this means that Uighur people hold the top offices in the government and Universities. The Uighur people are a completely separate ethnic group than the Han Chinese (those you would think of as "Chinese") and from what I understand are more closely related to Islamic Turks. As happens in many cultures and countries, there are some extreme groups that resent Chinese rule and would like to be independent. Most of the Uighur people live peacefully with the Han Chinese. The Uighur people are the largest of the 23 minority groups present in Xinjiang. Another of the larger minority groups are the Kazak people. Unlike the Uighur people, the Kazak people do have a land to call their own in neighboring Kazakhstan. When we were in Xinjiang to adopt Anna, we had a week of waiting for her passport. During that time, we visited areas populated by Kazak people and Uighur villages in the mountainous areas. If you look at pictures of these areas, you will see the colorful yurts (similar to the less colorful ones found in some Oregon campgrounds) where they live. This was where Rachel had her interesting horse ride down a mountain. Our visit to Turpan, where we were stranded in the desert by the donkey cart, passed through Kazak villages. China is a vast and fascinating country with many people and features quite different from those seen in Beijing! This is the end of your social studies lesson for today...

No comments: