From Psalm 27

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear...One thing I have desired of the LORD, That will I seek; That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD...I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart; wait , I say, on the LORD!

Friday, May 8, 2009

Update!





When we received our RA and had permission to send a care package, we contacted a service called Ladybugs 'N' Love (I'm putting a link on the side). Angela is located in China and, with help from an adopting parent here in the US, started this service. In addition to putting together and sending our first care package, she also called the orphanage with questions from us. Today, we received answers to our questions, confirmation that the second care package sent from home had arrived and pictures of him wearing some of the clothes and enjoying the cake we had ordered through Angela.

It is such a blessing to finally have a real connection to our son. We are told he has been looking at the pictures and can recognize each of us and is very happy.

Here are the questions we asked and the answers we received.

1. Is there something special we could send that would make him happy?
A: We asked Li Meng, he said he likes toy automaton and rooter. (Not sure what that means - trying to clarify... perhaps remote controlled toy?)

2. Has he learned any English?
A: Li Meng is not going to school yet. He is attending preschool at our orphanage. He learned a few English words. He knows some simple English, such as: Hello, thank you, good bye, dad, mom, hungry, etc. (got to know those important ones like HUNGRY!)

3. Did he have anything with him when he came to the orphanage.
A: Li Meng was sent to our orphanage by policemen, there was nothing with him but a note. (Yes, we are now asking about that note...)

4. Did he tell you anything about his family?
A: When he first entered our institute, he had told us he had dad, mom and grandma (paternal). But because he was too young that he couldn't tell clearly. And then he told us something else about his family which is different then he first told. We can't tell if it's true or just imagined by him. (We have had the same experience when Anna talks about her foster family...we don't think she really remembers very much because her stories are inconsistent and don't make sense.)

5. Can you tell us what Li Meng has been doing in school or send examples of his school work with him?
A: He is learning math, Chinese words, painting, hand crafts, general knowledge. He is happy to mail some of his handicraft and school work to you.

6. Do you have earlier pictures of him that you can share?
A: There are some pictures of him and other children together. We have to take pictures of the pictures. We will send these to you as well.

7. Is there any other information about his life with you or in China that will be important for us to save for him?
A: Li Meng is a lovely child. Compare with other boys, he is more gentle, but very active and friendly. He likes to play games and toys with other boys who live with him together (you can see that in the pictures). When he is alone, he likes to draw, paint and read books. Although his hands are not very flexible, he still helps other children who has mental problem to button, switch their shoes if they are on wrong side. It's very sweet. (This was my favorite part of the report.)

8. Does he remember Shi Ru Yi? (Anna)
A: We showed him their pictures together, but because he was too little and also they were not in the same unit, he can't remember her now. But he know Ru Yi is a child from Shihezi orphanage.

9. Could we get a copy of his finding ad and the finding ad for Shi Ru Yi?
A: Yes. We can give you the copy when you come to adopt Li Meng.

The last question was about visiting the orphanage -- they said they need to ask permission. We probably won't know until we arrive. We also received updated measurements. "Little brother" is almost 3 pounds heavier and a good inch taller than Mark -- but who knows, maybe that is with shoes on :)

We feel so blessed to have this opportunity to communicate and ask questions. We are very eager to meet our son in person. Our agency received travel approvals for other families today. They will travel later this month. We would love to get our travel approval and go with them, but that may take a miracle!

This morning, when my radio woke me up, I heard this verse: Deuteronomy 3:22 "You must not fear them, for the LORD your God Himself fights for you." I got up and looked up the verse to see the context. It is Moses' report to the Israelites as they are standing on the side of the Jordan. The words in Deuteronomy 3:22 were spoken to Joshua.

I think Joshua is a good new name for Li Meng. I hope that he will be happy with it. We introduced him to this name in the care package we sent. It will be interesting to find out if he understands.

2 comments:

Ginny said...

I love this and I agree on the favorite answer. You have to love that he is sweet and helps the other kids. That really speaks to his heart. I love Joshua too. Sounds like God picked it for you. He must have big plans for this little guy.

Chanda said...

Hey Kristine! I know! Isn't Ladybugs N Love fantastic? We also just got an update from them too. I love that you got so many pictures and that they were so elaborate in their answers. Gave you lots of extra info! He looks and sounds like a wonderful, caring little boy. Crossing my fingers you get your TA soon!